Richmond Fire Department
On October 25, 1858, The Richmond Fire Department became a paid municipal department consisting of six commanders, six foremen, and 90 firemen, operating 4 engine companies and 2 ladder companies. Richmond is the 5th oldest paid fire department in the country. Today, the Department’s total strength is 433 members operating out of 20 stations. Richmond currently deploys the Traditional Engine/Ladder Truck concept, operating 20 quint companies (4 minimum staffing), 3 heavy rescue companies (5 minimum staffing), 3 tankers, 2 brush trucks, 1 water rescue truck, one hazmat response vehicle, one Technical Rescue truck, and numerous staff vehicles.
VCU Medical Center
Every day, there’s a new discovery at the VCU Medical Center. Whether it’s a patient who undergoes a new, life-saving procedure or a clinical researcher who finds promise in a new cancer treatment, exciting medical advances are taking place. As the only academic medical center in central Virginia, the VCU Medical Center is on the forefront of health care, providing patients with the most progressive treatments and medical technology available.